22 Dec Cindy Carrillo on Staging A Coup To Take Back Her Company
Cindy Carrillo (LinkedIn Profile) is who I call when I needed help seeing the future. Her 40 years of business experience give me a perspective that I can’t get from peers, and who better to help me find the future than someone who’s been there, done that. This interview is to help you get clarity on whatever may be clouding your vision and to leverage her experiences to find what works for you.
Cindy was the Founder and CEO of Work Options Group from 1986 until 2009, when she sold the business to a major competitor. But not before she handed the reigns to a CEO she brought in, and then ultimately ousted, when she realized she was the right one to take the company forward.
Cindy’s entrepreneurial career began at the age of 19 when she started a retail plant business with her parents. She raised two children with that mindset and shares the framework she used to help them think like entrepreneurs.
After selling her business when it reached $20MM in revenues, she “retired” by building a ranch and created a mission statement for it. She works with select individuals to help them see their next and has redefined relationships, careers, and now retirement.
QUESTION OF THE DAY: What comes to mind when you think about the word “retirement”? Please let me know in the comments.
Scroll below for links and show notes…
Selected Links from the Episode
- Cindy Carrillo’s mission statement for her ranch, CC Blue [5:45]
- How Cindy Carrillo went into business with her parents when she turned 19 to pay for college [9:25]
- A framework for raising kids to think like entrepreneurs [14:00]
- What’s a common denominator for those who have trouble seeing the future clearly? [20:40]
- When hiring, what are most companies missing which costs them in turnover? [25:10]
- The four-letter “f” word [28:20]
- What holds women back from re-entering the workplace? [30:15]
- Cindy Carrillo’s bedside talk that challenged her physician husband’s boredom [34:30]
- How to audit yourself and see if you’re settling on something without even knowing [40:35]
- Cindy Carrillo talks about redefining relationships [44:08]
- The human behavior that leads people to leave jobs only after making things bad [47:00]
- How Cindy Carrillo iterated her business in an industry that didn’t exist [54:15]
- Why Cindy Carrillo decided to exit the business she started [1:10:00]
- The “Dick” who took over Cindy Carrillo’s company and how he drove it into the ground [1:17:55]
- Cindy Carrillo stages a coup to take back her company [1:21:00]
- QOTD: What comes to mind when you think about the word “retirement”?